Saturday, August 1, 2009

What is it?

I have a few bottles left of beer I made a few months ago. Since I didn't label them and used the same tops for various recipes, I've no idea which is which, especially in regard to the oatmeal stout version 1 and the kit porter. So tonight, I poured one of them and am trying to figure out what it is.

The pour is dark with a creme colored head. The smell seems to be that of the stout and so is the color. This stout has oatmeal and crystal malt. The is very little hops anywhere in the beer. It is very malty and the crystal sweetness is very pronounced. The finish is clean with a malty taste lingering.

My guess is that this is the stout due to all the crystal sweetness. The kit porter did not contain much crystal. It is quite good, though not as a stout. It is best described as an ale version of a dark Vienna lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment