Thursday, July 30, 2009

Phat Squirrel

If there was ever a nutter beer, perhaps New Glarus Fat Squirrel would be it. Its claim is that it is a nut brown ale, but the color is too pale. The label provides a nice story and I like the imagery.

It pours a deep orange with a cream colored head. On the nose, there is noticeable caramel malt and hazel nut tones. I would swear there is a hint of vanilla as well. The start is sweet and it quickly turns toward nutty. Mid is all hazel nut and caramel sweetness. Alcohol is barely noticeable, given to its 5.8%. The hops is quite unnoticeable. Perhaps my sample has toned down over the time since bottling. I've had this box for well over a month and this is the first time I've tried this one. The finish is hazel nut with the slightest hint of hops.

Overall, this an easy drinking beer. It is smooth and refreshing. Nothing overpowers anything else. It is on the sweet side, so a good pairing would be spicy food, perhaps even food with lots of garlic. A quick swirl reveals strong nutty flavors and to me what smells of Munich malt. The head fads and moves down with the beer; nothing sticks to the side. I will look forward to the other bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment