Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oatmeal stout recipe reconfigured

My Oatmeal stout recipe needed some reformulation. After looking at several on Cat's Meow, I have a new recipe that is a bit less heavy and pushes the color bounds a bit. The basics of the recipes are as follows:
  • 7# Canadian Pale Extract
  • 2# Crystal Malt (80L)
  • 1# Oats (steel cut or flaked)
  • .5# Black Patent Malt (500L)
  • .5# Roasted Barley (300L)
  • 1# Chocolate Malt (350L)
  • 1oz Chinook hops (60 min)
  • 1oz Fuggles hops (10 min)
  • 1tsp Irish Moss
  • 1pkg Irish Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1084)
I'll have to bottle the Irish Red first, but I do hope to try this recipe in a few weeks. My current Oatmeal stout is ok, but is a long way from what I want. It was a recipe made too much on the fly and not planned well enough. This next version should be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment