Friday, April 3, 2009

Flying Mouflan in the dark

The Irish red is showing signs that it will be ready to next week. Doubtful I will get able to get to it before the afternoon of the 11th, but we shall see. The weather has been nice and that has helped to move the beer along in the primary. I will not secondary this one, but will let it age in the bottle at least six weeks.

Up tonight is Troegs Brewing Company's Flying Mouflan. In this early state, this beer is a hop heads dream, without the punch in the back of the mouth bitterness. Let the beer warm a bit after coming out of the fridge and a wonderful hop aroma will greet you as you pour. I am not sure, but I do believe a hop-back was used with this one. When consumed, the beer gives a hint of the malty sweetness that will become more prevalent as the beer ages. It finishes with an alcohol bite true to its ABV value. The foamy head grips the sides of the glass and will not let go. I bought two 22 ounce bottles at the beer tasting (last two in the cart, as I recall). I have one stored away, so I will try this beer again in 5 or 6 months.

Today a co-worker gave me a bottle of mead. It is made by a local winery of clove honey. He has had this for at least 5 years, so it should have aged well. All I need now is a chance to open it and share it. Look here for a review when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment