Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rating my own

I thought I would digress from my reviewing of Sprecher and New Glarus to review one of my own brews. It is unlabeled, but based on what poured, it is my Irish Red. The head is an off-white and looks thick enough to spoon out. As the drink draws down, it tightly clings to the sides of the glass.

The aroma reveals the hop bitterness and a hint of malt. As it warms, the malt becomes a bit better pronounced. On the tip of the tongue, the hop bitterness is about all there is. As it washes to mid-mouth, the bitterness is mixed with hops. The malto-dextrin gives the beer a full feel. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming.

The finish is hoppy with only the slightest hint of malt. The bitterness does linger in the mouth and the hops gives the beer a dry finish. The hop and malt mix is unbalanced and feels like a typical homebrew. I need to work on the recipe and hop schedule. The malt sweetness is good and the color is on the darker side, but in the red zone. The recipe holds promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment