Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Abbey Cometh

Today I was finally able to get to racking the Chimay clone to secondary. Before doing so, I took a gravity reading of 1.010. It's been in the primary for two weeks and it started with a gravity of 1.080. The yeast in question is Wyeast Labs #3864 Canadian/Belgian. This yeast tolerate to 12%, so there should be some left over for carbonation when I bottle it in a few weeks.

Yesterday, I tried Stone Soup by New Glarus. This is a nice take on an abbey ale, complete with a yeast cloud. For an abbey, it is quite light and fruity. Very nice beer to enjoy out on the front porch on a hot July evening.

Did another check of the Cluster-Fuggles ale. I like the maltiness, but there is too much of a bitterness bite from the chocolate malt. The hop bitterness is not bad, but conflicts. It has some nut brown qualities and seems to wonder between a porter and a brown ale. It was bottled on the 7th of June, so it has only been in 2 weeks. I have some ideas on changes, but will try again in another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment