Monday, May 24, 2010

Barley wine and Bombers

Racked the barley wine to secondary today. Took measurements with refractometer, but did not believe the Brix of 11.5%. Dug out the floating hydrometer and thief, sanitized them and took a reading. The SG came out to 1.016 give yielded an ABV of 11.8%. That is more inline with what I would expect at this point and went with the noticeable alcohol on the nose. The beer is still quite sticky, so there is still room for more. I may need to get a 6.5 gallon carboy, make a champagne yeast starter and rack over it. I will monitor first.

This week's first article for examiner.com is a review of Rivertown Brewing's Hop Bomber. This brewery is one of Cincinnati's latest. While nothing really spectacular, the beer is nice and would go well with food. I will definitely have it again.

In a step to make my position at examiner.com a little more official, I have ordered business cards from them. At least I'll have something to hand out when I meet folks. Yeah, I really do this, no its not a living.

The Jungle Jim's International Beer Fest is June 18th. If you don't have tickets, get them now. There is a very good chance of a sell out this year. I will be there with camera in hand. I'll be easy to find though as I'll probably be around @GooseLindsey. James Bonaminio Junior has asked me to take pictures in a more official capacity, so hopefully this year I'll have better access for shots. I will have my new SB-600 as well.

In case you are wondering, many of the images seen on their website from last year are mine. Just check out their site and compare against my gallery. Nice, ain't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment